Pennsylvania’s Right-to-Know Law, Act 3 of 2008, establishes the proper procedures for requesting records from state, local, legislative, and judicial agencies. The Right-to-Know Act, a citizen’s guide, and other information can be viewed on the Pennsylvania Office of Open Records website at: PA Office of Open Records
How to submit a Right-to-Know request to the Southern Regional Police Department
1. All Right-to-Know Law requests for records should be submitted in writing using the standardized request form available at:
a. The Pennsylvania Office of Open Records website under the forms;
b. or from the form located at the bottom of this page;
c. or from a form picked up at the police department.
The requests should describe the records sought in detail to enable the Southern Regional Police Department to determine which records are being requested. The requests should include a name and address for proper response by the department.
2. All requests must be addressed to the department Open Records Officer, Commissioner Jeffrey Halapin, at:
Southern Regional Police Department
ATTN: Open Records Officer
47 E. High St.
New Freedom, PA 17349
Records requests may be sent to the open records officer via mail, email, fax, or in person during regular business hours M-F 8:00 am to 4:00 pm excluding holidays. The count towards the five-day requirement for response by the department begins on the first business day after receipt of the request.
3. Criminal history records and investigative reports are not accessible under the Right-to-Know Law and will be denied. A court order is required for investigative reports.
4. The Right-to-Know Law, 65 P.S. - 67.101-67.3104 and the Criminal History Record Information Act, 18 Pa.C.S. - 9101-9183, specify that records involving covert law enforcement investigations, intelligence gathering and analysis are exempt from public disclosure and this department may neither confirm nor deny the existence of such records to protect investigations and individuals.
5. If a written request for records is granted, the fees will be assessed in accordance with the fee schedule promulgated by the Pennsylvania Office of Open Records. That fee schedule can be found at: Fee Schedule.
As provided by 65 P.S. - 67.1307, the department is authorized to charge requestors reasonable fees for necessary incurred costs. The department will determine and charge fees on a case-by-case basis and shall maintain a current fee assessment list. Requestors must pay applicable fees prior to the release of the records. Should the applicable fees be estimated to be in excess of $100.00, the requester will be required to prepay the fees before the request will be processed. All fees must be paid by certified check, bank check, or money order payable to the "Southern Regional Police Department.”
Fees may include:
• $0.25 per page for duplication
• $2.00 per record certification
• Actual cost of postage, facsimile or other media, and for
• See department fee schedule for additional information
6. Appeals forms are available at the Pennsylvania Office of Open Records website and should be addressed to:
The Office of Open Records
Commonwealth Keystone Building
400 North St. 4th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17120-0225
Appeals may also be submitted via facsimile to 717-425-5343 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Microsoft Word or PDF attachment.